Wednesday 10 March 2021

Hoplite Comparison

 I have suddenly become aware that 2012 is just round the corner (must be the annoying M&S Christmas ads.:roll:) and the realisation has occurred that painting time for the SOA Battle Day is slipping away. As a first step I decided to audit what figures are available from my lead pile to be inserted into the painting queue before April. Results summarised below:


Hoplites (28-30mm): 319 of those 136 are painted.

This seems better that it really is as the majority of the painted hoplites are in fact Etruscans. They will do in a pinch I suppose but I would like to have proper Greeks for Platea. This leaves 2 units of hoplites ready for action and 14 units of potential recruits (7 of these units look distinctly Spartan.)


My figures come from a wide variety of manufacturers (some comparison photos below) but I am hoping that if I can keep the large round (Argive) shields consistent variations in height and heft between the different sculpts will go unnoticed.





(The grey figures in the middle are Warlord / Immortal Miniatures plastic hoplites, great value for the aspiring Greek general.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Waterloo  - But Not As we Know It!