Sunday 14 March 2021

Bactrian Greek Project (part 4) - Four More Cavalry Figures

 Getting back into the swing of converting these plastic figures I finally dashed off 4 more to complete a Piquet cavalry unit (they're mainly in 8s.) I decided that there wasn't enough emphasis on lances in the unit yet so the next couple of riders were assembled with hoplite armoured thoraxes, as before with the shield straps shaved off. (One removed and the other turned into the cuff of a long-sleeved tunic.) 


Both received greenstuff pteurges (fabric strips hanging down from the waist of the corselet) to conceal the join at the waist and complete their armour. A 45mm steel pin spear was added to each; one couched, the other at a more upright angle.



The next figure was another bowman. I used a set of arms from the Wargames Factory Numidian infantry box with the bow half raised and the other arm reaching for an arrow. The right hand fitted in a very pleasing way with the open arrow case from the Persian Cavalry set. This figure used an unarmoured upper body so I added greenstuff pteurges at the waist and shoulders to try to look like armour concealed under a covering tunic.



The last figure for this unit I decided should be some sort of officer. I liked the idea of having him in a bronze body armour, but the muscle corselets on the Theban hoplite sprue did not look like an easy conversion into something suitable for a cavalryman. My solution was to use another of the linothorax bodies and to add the flaring bronze cuirass myself. A metallic armour with this sort of shoulder yoke is not typical but I could think of one example in the armour attributed to King Philip from Vergina.


I also decided to give this rider a crest for his Beoetian helmet and a left arm pointing in a bossy way.


Next stage, painting (which can hide a host of bodges!) A light coat of Halfords grey undercoat will also highlight any mould lines I have missed and rough areas that need a bit more work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Waterloo  - But Not As we Know It!