Sunday 28 March 2021

Allied Triari

Sometimes I buy figures just because I like the ethos of a company or I am wanting to show some support for a smaller commercial project. Agema Miniatures falls plum into that category without a doubt. I do not especially need any more Republican Roman figures in 28mm but I appreciate the spirit and historical approach of Greg's company. So of course I bought all of the packs of metal figures that were produced to supplement the plastic offerings. The plastics are nice and well-proportioned but a little bit limited in their number of poses, so doing extras in metal made a lot of sense. 


Once I had the figures in my hand the "Wow factor" took over. These are some of the nicest figures I have ever seen sculpted in this scale. Just superb little castings with amazing detail and very natural poses, both action stances and relaxed. I was particularly keen on the Triarii pack with the old veterans leaning on their shields and in a variety of more expensive armour types. Eventually I had to spoil it all though by adding my painting to the party! First I came upon a problem  The Agema plastic Triarii match the metal additions perfectly for physiology but they are all in the classic kneeling pose. Totally not going to mix in with the stood up versions. My solution was to hack up some of the other plastic legionaries so that they could be adapted to carrying the Triarii's typical spear armament. 


(Click on image for larger version)


It works okayish... I had to steal some arms from Victrix plastic  figures which was altogether a nuisance. However the good news is that the new Hannibal's Veterans box of plastics from Agema will provide additional bodies and spear arms that will do the job perfectly.


 

Just for the record the figures, counted from the left are: 4, 6, 7, 12, 13,15 are Triarii Characters, 9, 10, and 11 from Maniple Command, 2, 3, 5, 8 and 16 are plastic figures from the Legionary box, (3 and 5 with heads from the Roman Allies pack of heads.) Figures 1 and 14 are interlopers that have been lurking in the lead pile for a very long time. They seem to fit in okay. They were I think from a company called Alban Miniatures possibly now a part of Matchlock / Minifigs. Apart from the last two all these figures are available direct from Agema at http://agemaminiatures.co.uk/product-category/republican-romans/metal-figures/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Waterloo  - But Not As we Know It!